Short-time work phase 4 starts 1 April 2021
The Corona short time work measure was extended once more: Phase 4 starts April 1st 2021 and will run until 30 June 2021. To be eligible for this measure, workers still have to have at least one full calender month of employment preceding short time work. During short time work, working time can be reduced to 30%. The net replacement rate is, depending on the income, 80 to 90%. If workers are employed for a full calender month prior to application, they can be included in short time work also later in phase 4.
Correction: In an earlier version, March 1st was erroneously given as the starting date of phase 4.
Lockdown bonus for self-employed artists
As of 22 February 2021, self-employed artists in Austria can apply for another lockdown compensation payment of 1,000 Euros for the time period January until February 2021.
This special payment was introduced in November 2020 in the amount of 1,300 Euros, then increased to 2,000 Euros in December 2020 (the difference of 700 Euros was paid automatically to recipients).
Everyone who is eligible for the SVS bridge the gap assistance and/or the WKO emergency fund, or who has received money from these funds, is eligible for the lockdown bonus too. It is fresh money, support received before is not deducted. Applications are open at SVS.
https://www.svs.at/cdscontent/?contentid=10007.859358 (application no. 3, for info see item #7, Lockdownkompensation für Künstler*innen)
Bridge the gap financing for artists: applications for 1st quarter since 15 January, 2nd quarter starts 1 April 2021
Since 15 January 2021, self-employed artists insured with SVS can apply for a the new tranche of bridge the gap financing at SVS. It amounts to € 3,000,- for the first quarter of 2021.
Applications for the 2nd quarter are expected to open 1 April 2021 (another tranche of € 3,000,-).
Key points 2020:
- 1.000 Euro max. per month for 6 months max. (6.000 max. in total) per person
- Uncomplicated calculation method, non-bureaucratic application process
- Processed through the Social Insurance Institution for Commerce and Trade, Freelancers and Farmers (SVS), the lawful service center for artists
- ATTENTION: emergency funds of Chamber of Commerce (WKO) will be deducted
KSVF Covid-19 fund: phase 2 increased to € 3,500, phase 3 (€ 1,500) since 15 January
In phase 2 (2020), the one-time payment has been increased to € 3,500 per capita because of the lockdown. Recipients and applications currently processed will automatically receive the additional resp. increased amount. Note: Retroactive applications for phase 2 are currently still possible, depending on the available budget! This might be easily overlooked, here’s the direct link to the form: https://www.ksvf-formulare.at/forms/covid19phase2x (status: 10 March 2021)
In phase 3, funding amounts to a one-time payment of € 1,500 per capita for the time period January to March 2021. Applications for phase 3 are open since 15 January at KSVF.
The fund was initially worth € 5 m and was increased twice by amendments to a total of € 20 m (1 October 2020 to € 10 m, and 23 Dezember to € 20 m). Phase 1 (€ € 1,000) ended on 2 July 2020, phase 2 startet on 10 July 2020 (€ 3,000, increased to € 3,500). Phase 3 (€ 1,500) starts 15 January 2021.
The goal of the KSVF Covid-19 fund is to ease the special emergency and difficult cases of artists and cultural workers who are not eligible for asssistance according to the regulations of the WKO emergency fund or the gap bridging measues of the SVS. The KSVF can now give aid to artists and cultural workers of up tp € 3,500 (€ 1,500 starting 15 January 2021) who at the time of application:
A. are neither eligible for the WKO emergency fund
B. nor the bridge the gap assistance of the SVS,
- have their main residence in Austria
- are significantly economically threatened as a result of COVID-19 , for instance, at the time of submission are unable to meet costs of living or costs of doing business because of official ordinances in the fight against COVID- 19 temporarily or permanently limiting or forbidding the practice of their artistic/cultural profession and source of income.
- receive no assistance or compensation from private or professional insurance services to cover losses entailed through COVID-19 privaten bzw. beruflichen
- have not received funds for the same circumstances from KSVF-Assistance fund in accordance with § 25c Abs. 3 K-SVFG.
- had an income in the last fiscal year, as reported on the tax return of maximum € 60.144 (80% the annual social insurance highest calculating basis). Applicants who do not file a tax return must submit their own estimated income.
WKO emergency fund: applications open until 1 April 2021
Applications for the WKO emergency fund have to be submitted monthly for the previous month until latest 1 April 2021.
The emergency fund is a funding instrument of the Federal Government, providing self-employed workers and entrepreneurs with support for their personal cost of living during the Corona crisis. Key points of phase 2:
- Funding period: 16 March 2020 until 15 March 2021
- Elegibility period: 12 months
- “Once-only-principle” (data and information already provided during an application will not have to be provided again)
- Minimum funding € 500 plus € 500 “Comeback Bonus”
- Marginally (self-)employed people and pensioners will be entitled to apply (precondition: social insurance)
WKO Emergency Fund for Self-Employed Persons (in German)
Protective shield fund for events starts 15 January
The € 300 m protective shield fund will ease the planning and realization of events in arts, culture, sports and other areas (incl. congresses, fairs and markets). It is supposed to also help cultural operators cover for series or cycles of events.
It will refund noncancelable expenses in case of cancellations or reductions due to Covid-19. Revenues, insurance payments and other aids will be deducted. Eligible costs are:
- Noncacelable expenses for third party goods and services (e.g. artists, technical equipment, catering, venue etc.) as well as
- Labor costs in direct connection with the planning and realization of the event.
The aid processed through Österreichische Hotel- und Tourismusbank ÖHT. Applications open 15 January 2021. The earliest eligible event date is 1 February 2021.
Covid-19 info service by BMKÖS for artists and cultural professionals
The Ministry of Arts, Culture, Civil Service and Sport has set up an info service for artists and cultural professionals regarding Covid-19 issues. Hotline: +43 1 71 606 851185 (Mon–Fri 9am–3pm), email: firstname.lastname@example.org. FAQs, further contacts, regulations, conditions for live events etc. at:
AMS: New calculation periods for the assessment basis, and short time work phase 3
ATTENTION: New calculation period for the assessment basis for unemployment benefits, since July 1, 2020
A long planned change in unemployment insurance laws went into effect as of July 1, 2020. Until now, calculation of unemployment benefits was in accordance with the time of application and adjusted with income from the last or previous year. As of July 1, the exact date of application is regarded as the basis.
This means the following: Calculation is based on the last twelve monthly contributions to the unemployment system before expiration of the (12 month) correction period. If there are less than 6 months of contributions, calendar months within the correction period will be included.
- Registration with the AMS in July 2021
- 12 month correction period including July 2020
- Basis for calculation is July 2019 to June 2020
Also new is that special payments are calculated at a flat rate of one sixth of ongoing remuneration!
Transitional provision: If there are no monthly contributions, the old basis for calculation will be used.
Reduced VAT rate of 5% extended until 31.12.2021
To support businesses in hospitality, the hotel sector and the arts and culture sector, which were hit especially hard by the Covid-19 pandemic, the reduced VAT rate of 5% will be extended until the end of 2021. More information on extensions of Covid-19 support measures currently in place: